Monday, January 19, 2015

First Steps

I suppose if one is going to walk for many miles, a good pair of shoes is  wise investment.  I've been doing some research on hiking boots, vs. shoes, etc.  Today I went to a sporting goods store and I tried on several before finally making my selection.  I ended up with Keen Gypsum hiking shoes.  I imagine I could wear them out before I actually leave for Europe, but at least I have something good on my feet to start training.  I also got the sock combo that so many people have recommended on the forum: a thin liner, with a merino wool outer.  Even though I am starting very, very small, I think it's a good idea to get used to the feel of it all as soon as I can.  I looked at the packs too, but I think I will walk for a while before I start getting into that kind of gear.  I am going to look into the poles soon though because the cane is just not right for trying to do any kind of rapid walking, and I am terrified of falls.  I fall too often. 

Anyway, I did go out walking just a little!  I am excited, and I can't wait to do more tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment